28 November 2006

NET11 Assessment tasks

Ok well I have the orientation and introduction out of the way, I am now looking at the assessment tasks. I noted from my quick scan of the curriculum that most of these are continuously drawn from the modules I'll be working on throughout the unit, so I think it is a good time to start planning.

There are four tasks or areas we are assessed on, three of them I can start working on straight away. These are:
  • Resource Project due in week 9 (26/01/07), worth 30%. In this project we must compile a list of web sites we think would be useful for someone learning the content of the first four modules of this unit - at least two links per module. In addition we are to annotate each link with a summary and discussion of how and why it might be useful. We should also try to identify which concepts they relate to or illustrate. We have a choice of either web site or blog presentations. Hmm.. decisions, decisions! This looks like fun, I really enjoy research and writing.
  • Participation in forum (tutorial) discussions, worth 10%. This will require me to keep pace with the other students, otherwise I risk becoming a 'lurker' catching up on old posts. We are expected to complete a module per fortnight, it is halfway through week 1 right now and I notice quite a number of students are powering through the first module. Unfortunately this week I am doing some rather intense study in my last unit for the final exam on Thursday, but I expect to do some serious catch up this weekend.
  • Learning Log due in final week (23/02/07), worth 30%. Yay, I've started this! As well as being part of my assessment, this log will serve as a record of work I've completed, as well as reflection on my experiences as I work throughout the unit - similar to the Learning Log I completed in my last unit for SSK12. The suggestion for this one is to set aside a couple of times a week to work on my log.
The fourth assessment task is an essay (eek!) due in the last week of the unit with the Learning Log submission. It requires reflection on the conceptual understandings acquired throughout the unit, hopefully this will be covered in my log and will be a matter of revision. I shall revisit this task a bit later in the unit. I need lots of practise in my essay writing.

No comments: