14 September 2006

Transferring learning strengths into university study

This exercise made me look at my existing knowledge and skills that I have taken for granted for years! It was useful to draw a connection between my experience at work and the study I am now undertaking.

Activity 1: Previous learning experience

An early project I undertook in my first job as a web designer was the creation of a functional web page contact form. To be functional it had to process information submitted by a user, and direct the user to a 'thank you' page.

During the project I learned how to prepare a web page form with the correct variables using HTML, how to install and configure a Perl form mailer script. I gained an understanding of how a web server processes information using CGI.

The skills I acquired during this project remain useful to me in my work today and were a solid foundation for my professional development.

Activity 2: Conditions that enhance your learning

Most of my learning was conducted through my own research on the internet, and trial and error on a test server. This was under the supervision of a helpful senior programmer who was happy to fill any gaps in my knowledge. As he was busy with his own projects I preferred to teach myself as much as possible, however having him nearby gave me the confidence to test my skills and put my knowledge into practice.

Self-guided learning, making use of resources and consulting with my colleagues are the skills that can be transferred to my study at university.

Activity 3: Your learning strengths

















*Self guided learningThroughout my working life where I have been required to learn new skills I have felt compelled to discover information for myself first, before asking a busy colleague. If I felt I needed to know more about a particular subject I would dig up as much information as I could about it. When I was working in a bank I would examine systems, procedure manuals and help screens. Working for an ISP, I made use of information published on the internet, and took part in industry discussion forums.
Use of search engines, researchSearch engines have been extremely useful for my work in the internet industry. They've helped me locate resources where I could learn new skills, or answer technical support questions posed to me by customers.
Attention to detailIn my job at the bank, attention to detail was paramount to ensure my cash drawer balanced at the end of the day! As a web developer this was a particularly useful attribute for helping to ensure my code was compatible with different web browsers, and tracking down programming bugs.
*JournallingI have enjoyed reading and writing since my childhood, and have kept a private journal on and off for many years. I have always had more confidence in my writing ability than my verbal skills. For the last 12 months I have kept a web log or 'blog' and this has provided useful practise in reflective thinking and self-expression.

*I believe self-guided learning and journalling are the skills that will transfer well and be most useful to my studies. With internet research I will need to pay closer attention to the credibility of the information. Attention to detail is good, but I need to work on time management skills so I am not wasting too much time on study tasks with less priority than others.

Activity 4: Gaps in your learning experience

As a shy person I have always felt uncomfortable talking to people I don't know well. In public speaking situations, my mind tends to enter a self-contained 'zone' where I am not fully engaged in what is happening. Although I feel far more confident with writing, I waste a lot of time reviewing and refining my content. This has led to situations of 'false efficiency' at work where I have taken projects home to complete in my own leisure time.

I think the biggest gap in my learning experience is a poor ability in 'thinking on my feet' which will probably have its greatest impact in exam situations. Another issue is ineffective time management which inevitably leads to stress and loss of a balance between my work, study and leisure time.

In discussing this with a study partner I mentioned the length of time I am spending on learning log exercises (too long). I need to discipline myself on identifying priorities so I can stick to an appropriate time frame. I should also make use of the student forum to engage in more public discussions.

Activity 5: Lifelong learning

A lifelong learner has the ability to research, study and evaluate facts and concepts. They are self-motivated and enjoy learning, and keep an open mind to ways they can improve their knowledge.

I have a knowledge of various learning techniques but I need to increase my skill in these areas to become more effective and meet my study goals. I like having an open mind and learning new things.

Activity 6: Transferring reading skills

Reading skills I have that are appropriate for university study.

  • Scanning news articles for items of interest

  • Enjoyment and engagement of reading

  • Good vocabulary and access to dictionary


Reading skills I need to refine or develop.

  • Summarising in a meaningful way

  • Analysing and retaining information

  • Checking for source credibility


Activity 7: Evaluating your learning

No comments: