4 September 2006

QSK110 Setting Study Goals and Objectives

There are worksheets for this module but putting them here will help to keep the module outcomes at the forefront of my mind where they will remain useful and can be refined or updated as required.

Identifying Goals

Life goals for the next five years:

  • complete my university degree

  • live a healthy lifestyle

  • happy marriage

  • be in a stimulating line of work

  • be out of debt

  • have plenty of interests, remain occupied

  • be mentally active and happy


Study goals:

  • personal development - improve my mind, become a better writer

  • personal achievement - attain satisfactory pass in all units, meet requirements for award of degree

  • academic reasons - formalise my knowledge and learn more about my field of study (Internet Studies)

  • vocational reasons - get a suitable qualification, improve my work prospects


Unit goals for SSK12 Introduction to University Learning:

  • submit all assessment tasks on time and sit for final exam

  • complete the unit with a respectable pass

  • acquire new and valuable skills and knowledge which will help me throughout my other study units


Evaluating Study Goals

I think my goals are realistic, although they seem a little boring: it is possible they will not prove sufficiently challenging. I have a history of not sticking to things; although part of the issue might have been the lack of thought and planning.

So a likely struggle will be my commitment to completing my course of studies. Will I be able to make sacrifices and push myself out of my comfort zone to achieve my goals?

From Study Goals to Study Objectives

Re-think my goals by converting to objectives using S.M.A.R.T:
Specific: can I make this goal more specific?
Measurable: how will I measure my progress?
Actionable: how will I act on this goal?
Realistic: is this goal realistic?
Time-related: how much time do I have to complete this?

Focusing on Goals

This entry in my learning log will serve as a reminder of my goals and help me keep my resolve. I could also print out a statement of my goals and stick it on the wall at my desk so it stays in my face!

Conclusion

"You will be effective if your goals and objectives are realistic and if they guide how you manage and approach your study, and you will be efficient if you remain focused on and stick to your goals." (Lorraine Marshall QSK110, 2006)

Useful Links

No comments: